The WSTA fully supports the Government’s aim to deliver a Brexit deal that works and welcome the progress already made to find a deal with the EU.
But we are concerned that a no deal Brexit is still on the table and implore the Government to ensure the UK does not leave the EU without a deal on 29 March 2019.
That’s why we are telling the EU and Westminster ‘don’t bottle it’ – find a Brexit deal that works.
We represent a global industry at the heart of the UK:
- 55% of wine consumed in the UK is imported from the EU.
- While 45% of spirits exports are sent to the EU.
- And the total UK wine and spirit industry is worth a massive £17 billion to the Treasury and supports an incredible 475,000 jobs.
While the businesses we represent have been contingency planning as best they can, a no deal Brexit presents a multitude of difficulties which are outside of their control.
For wines and spirits, this would likely mean:
- Delays at the border – businesses might not be able to make or move their product
- Restricted movement of people – businesses might not be able to employ enough staff and bars, pubs and restaurants might not have enough people to serve
- Issues over cash flow – businesses might have to cut back on investment; and
- Massive uncertainty to businesses and consumers.